Thursday, April 12, 2012

The Prayer of Saint Francis of Assisi

As a spiritual but non-religious person, I do not come across prayers too often. But recently in one intensive personal and spiritual development session we worked with a prayer that I found absolutely beautiful and an almost perfect summary of what the spiritual path (and a life based on joy and happiness) should be all about. So I would like to share the Prayer of Saint Francis of Assisi below.

And as long as I am writing on the subject of prayer, I would also like to offer a tip to those who have a resistance to prayers (as I did and sometimes still do): Instead of thinking "prayer", think "speaking from the heart to the creator, a higher source or to something that transcends us". You may find that such a shift may release tremendous energy and joy deep from your heart. Also, try experimenting with creating your own prayers or "speeches from the heart to a higher source", according to your wishes and needs at the time.


Lord, make me an instrument of your peace.
Where there is hatred, let me sow love;
where there is injury,pardon;
where there is doubt, faith;
where there is despair, hope;
where there is darkness, light;
and where there is sadness, joy.

O Divine Master, grant that I may not so much seek
to be consoled as to console;
to be understood as to understand;
to be loved as to love.
For it is in giving that we receive;
it is in pardoning that we are pardoned;
and it is in dying that we are born to eternal life. Amen

1 comment:

  1. Hi there,

    My name is Tanya and I'm a spiritual but non religious person myself and I also have an aversion to prayer. But that prayer is beautiful!

    ReplyDelete